Thursday, March 30, 2006

Sophie the Tornado




So Sophie had a good night last night. She took a bottle and slept from about 8 to 6 with a couple wakeups for a bottle. We went down to breakfast this morning and Sophie enjoyed her usual cocktail of watermelon and apple juice, which she prefers to get spoon fed from Stacy. I enjoy a cocktail of watermelon and cucumber juice. And we all enjoy finding out what is in the steamed bun of the day. The hotel caters to 4 groups, British, American, Japanese, and Chinese, so you can find items from all 4 groups including those really gross aged green eggs I think the Japanese like. At breakfast most of the families stroll down and we compare notes on who slept, who didn't, and why.

Then we took our morning jaunt to the Museum. Afterwards. Sophie took a nap and Stacy wanted peanut butter crackers for lunch, so Randy and I went to Carrefour to pick up the laundry and eat at KFC. We thought we were ordering 2 chicken sandwiches. Randy's had carrots and peas in it, and mine was all dark meat. Next time we will stick with the popcorn chicken.

In the afternoon we strolled through town to a turquoise factory where we did buy a few items. After that we went to the restaurant we went to last night also, 778. Our meal tonight was only 151 yuan so a little less than $3 US per person for 7 people and this is WITH two large bottles of Snow beer. This is where Sophie the tornado took over. Sophie and her friend Lizzie went NUTS scooping up whole handfuls of noodles and sticking them in their mouths, reaching for the glass lazy susan in the middle of the table and generally wreaking havoc. Sophie even broke a rice spoon. It was HILARIOUS. Sophie's personality is really showing through and she is mischievous and curious. We think she will give Margaux a run for her money with regard to sassiness. The pictures above were taken just before Sophie's evening bath where she was flexible enough to nibble on her toes (about an hour ago).

Tomorrow we may have a group lunch and a dinner, we are still unclear whether there is 2 group meals or just one. One is supposed to be pizza, we will see how good Chinese pizza is. We are going to try to hit a nearby park, but we will have to taxi and it is supposed to be rainy and cold, so we will see. Otherwise, hotel food for us. I'm hopeful Sophie will let Randy hold her tomorrow. Sophie is a joy to care for, her only problem is transitions from one person to another or one position to another such as sitting on the floor to laying on the bed. She cries at transitions but we are learning how to distract her. The pictures do not do her justice. And of course, Stacy is an incredible Mom.

Jen

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Stacy, Randy and Jennifer,
Randy how is you arm? what was a
boiling bottle doing in your back-
pack?The pictures are getting
better and better. It looks like
Sophie is warming up more to all of
you. I love the bows in her hair
to match her outfits. She always
looks so cute. You still have another week to go. It seems like
you've been gone so long. Have a
great day or night????? Randy, I
hope your arm gets better. lo
Love you, miss you Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

She's getting cuter and cuter every
day. We are certainly enjoying your
daily diary and most of all, look forward to the pictures. What a well dressed little girl, with bows to match. Boy, STacy, it seems as though you have been a mom forever.
Love,
Judy

Anonymous said...

yesterday me and Lara were talking about you guys. We are counting the days so you can be here. Still one week to go and it feels like an eternity. We are all making plans for when you come back. You better not have any. 'cause you know, it is not about you anymore but Sophie.
Making Margaux run for the money? I have got to see this. Can't even imagine.
love

Anonymous said...

Thank you for blogging today. Now, my day can continue. Randy, I sure hope the raddish concoction works. Sophie is the cutest! She should be a cover model. We were at the zoo today & Truman was all over the world. Can't wait for Sophie to join him and his adventures. Nope, Jen, it didn't look clear.
I also spoke w/Lara yesterday. Can't wait for your return. Sophie, Stone wants to know why you don't like boys. After all, Truman likes boys & he's a baby. YOu should too. Randy, glad you go to touch her. Maybe on the plane you'll be able to hold her. STacy, the carrier looks good on you. Did you even need a stroller?
Looking forward to what tomorrow brings. Quick healing to you Randy.
Lots more love to you,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hey Stace!
Love the pics. Its been kinda busy and I've not managed to check back in until today (what can I say?...I'm a bad blogger). Sophie's a doll and looks like she's adjusting well. We know how she feels about men but....has she met any dogs yet?
Spring is in the air here so you'll be coming home to warmth (and hopefully sunshine).

Anonymous said...

Margaux is ready for the challenge. They should be quite the team!!!
Glad to hear that the wound is healing! Can't wait to see you all next week.
Lara

Anonymous said...

Dear Stacy, Hi. how /are you. I have been thinking about you every day. Sophie is darling. Thanks for having bows to match her clothes and shoes on. I can't wait to meet her. Hopefully we can come on the boy's spring break. Kevin has been following your story and pictures while he is here on vacation. He loves her. Take care. Have a safe trip home. Love,
Sue and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hey everybody - we love all the pictures and stories of your day. Sounds like a great trip to pick a great little package. Randy - take care of your arm - hope it is better. I'll bet Margaux will be able to show Sophie a few little tricks - and probably vice versa. Great to hear from you and see everything. Have a great trip - be careful - don't talk to strangers - watch what you eat (My mom always gave me those instructions - thought I should pass them on!!). See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Stacy,
I am sooooo... excited for you. I have been thinking about youa nd decided to e-mail you and Ann B. today. Your e-mail came back that you were off until June so I was hoping that this was the reason why and then Ann forwarded on the e-mail address. She is absolutely adorable, beautiful, and I am so happy for you. I know how much you were looking forward to this and to finally have it become a reality must be so wonderful!! I am sure you are an incredible mother and she is as lucky to have you as you are to have her. Please stay in touch and send me your address so that maybe I can meet her when I get to Chicago. Again congratulations on the new joy in your life!! Take care and enjoy the rest of the stay in China.
Linda Dimberg